Plant-protein has been gaining popularity for some time now, and there are plenty of reasons to make it a regular staple in your diet. Protein is an essential macronutrient, and all too often we find our clients are not eating enough of it.
Sourcing protein is always a topic of great discussion at Lifestyle. Where do I get it? How much do I need? Do you have any awesome recipes that are high in protein? We help our clients with all of this.
Individual requirements for protein vary based on a number of factors. Age, height, weight, lean body mass, activity level, body-fat percentage and goals all help us determine where you should set your protein targets.
Plant-based protein is fabulous for a number of reasons. We like to consider the following:
- Positive environmental impact. With our ever-expanding population, factory farming is taking a toll on the planet. We can help reduce our carbon footprint by eating more plant-based foods.
- Excellent micronutrition! Lentils, seeds, and beans packs some awesome vitamins and minerals. Adding these to your intake can result in better overall health.
- Fiber! Plant-based food adds fiber to your diet, which helps with gut health, weight control and more!
- Economical! Plant-based protein is awesome for individuals working with a budget and doing their best to include more protein.
If you’re looking for a new recipe filled with protein and amazing flavor, try these edamame beans!
– 10 oz. of shelled edamame beans
– 1 tbsp. of chili powder
– 1 tbsp. of salt
– 1 tsp. of pepper
– 1 tbsp. of basil
– 1 tbsp. of olive oil (or oil spray; see below)
– Preheat oven to 375 F. Toss beans into a bowl with all of the spices and stir.
– Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil or coat with a quick spray from an oil mister.
– Spread evenly on pan and cook for 12-15 minutes. Enjoy!